The Perfect Winter Day: A Sleigh Ride Through Whistler
Planning your winter vacation to Whistler can be hard. There are just so many great family activities to choose from, and you want to make sure the whole family will have a wonderful experience. So, we thought we’d let you know about one of Forged’s favourites – horse-drawn sleigh rides in Whistler! It’s perhaps the most magical, and uniquely Canadian experiences you can have it Whistler. Take a ride up Whistler Blackcomb after dusk, tucked up warm and looked after by experienced guides and friendly, hard-working horses.
We’ll tell you everything you need to know to choose your perfect sleigh ride experience. Whether you’re a couple celebrating your first anniversary, or you’re celebrating Christmas in Whistler with the whole family, a sleigh ride could be the perfect addition to your trip. When you’ve learned everything you need to know, it’s easy to book online.
5 Reasons to Take a Sleigh Ride This Season
- Celebrate an anniversary: Celebrating a special anniversary this winter season? There are few more romantic ways to spend an evening that gliding through a snow-covered forest, cuddled up under a blanket with your favourite person in the world. Or perhaps you’re thinking of proposing? What better way to create the perfect setting than to take a private sleigh ride up the mountain!
- The perfect family winter activity: If you’re planning to bring the whole family to Whistler Blackcomb, make sure to save time to take them all out for a sleigh ride over Whistler. Kids will love getting to pat the horses and hear all about who they are, where they live and how they’re cared for.
- Creating a magical Christmas memory: Christmas is surely the most magical time of the year in Whistler. And a sleigh ride is one of the most magical experiences you can have here. Make your Christmas holiday unforgettable this year and take to the trails above Whistler after dark. You’ll never forget drifting through softly falling snow as you gaze down at the lights of Whistler village.
- Taking a break from it all: We all know ski holidays are awesome, but it’s important to find some quiet time on vacation too. It’s all too easy to forget to slow down, look around, and enjoy the simple things these days. But take a sleigh ride and you’ll find yourself falling back in time to a simpler place. From the old-fashioned carriages to the horses in their dress collars, the whole family will love getting a taste of a different time.
- Add the finishing touch to your wedding day: Yep, that’s right, you can include a private horse-drawn sleigh ride in your wedding day! You can customize the sleigh ride to fit perfectly into your special day, and there’s always time to take some stunning photos with the beautiful sleigh and majestic horses. Blackcomb Sleigh Rides will cater to all of your needs, and make sure you have a wonderful, romantic experience.
Choose the Right Whistler Sleigh Ride For You and Your Family
Blackcomb Sleigh Rides offer two different tours, to suit any family and any budget. Remember, to avoid being disappointed, make sure to book at least 24 hours in advance. And make sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before your tour starts!
Scenic Mountain Sleigh Ride
Looking for the perfect family apres activity? Grab a seat on the Scenic Mountain Sleigh Ride. Meet the team at the base of Blackcomb mountain, just five minutes’ drive from Whistler village and most of the hotels. You’ll be introduced to your team of horses and your own dedicated guide. Then climb aboard the 15-person sleigh and get comfortable among the cosy blankets. If it’s snowing or raining, don’t worry, the sleighs have canopies to keep you warm and dry.
Then your trusty horses will take the lead and wind their way up Blackcomb mountain. The skiers and snowboarders are long gone, so the mountain is yours – except for the snow cats. Enjoy the calm and the stillness, broken only by the jingling bells of the horses’ harnesses and the quiet plod of their hooves on the snow. As you climb through the forest, the bright lights of Whistler village will start to emerge in the valley below. Savour the views before stopping to warm up by the fire in a cozy log cabin with a cup of hot chocolate.
Everything you need to know
- Tour times: 5pm, 6pm, 7pm every evening (and 8pm in peak season)
- Tour length: 50 – 60 minutes
- Capacity: 15 people per sleigh, 2 sleighs per tour
- Price: Adults – $69, Children (3-12 years) – $40, Children under 3 – FREE (All prices plus GST)
Private Mountain Sleigh Ride
If you’re looking for a special treat for the family, or someone you love, the Private Mountain Sleigh Ride is for you. In a beautiful, picture-perfect cutter sleigh pulled by a single, strong draft horse, you’ll be transported to another world. Far away from the crowds, you’ll be able to relax and enjoy the night time views of Whistler that few get to see. Your own private guide and driver will teach you all about the history of Whistler and the local flora and fauna and answer all your questions about your horse and their work.
Make sure you don’t forget your camera to capture this once-in-a-lifetime family experience. The private tour also includes a visit to the private log cabin to enjoy a warming cup of hot chocolate, before heading back down to Whistler village with unforgettable memories and rosy cheeks.
Everything you need to know
- Tour times: 6.30pm, 7.30pm and 8.30pm every evening
- Tour length: 50 – 60 minutes
- Capacity: 2-4 people per sleigh
- Price: $350 for 2 people, $450 for 4 people (All prices plus GST)
Who are Blackcomb Sleigh Rides?
Blackcomb Sleigh Rides have been delighting visitors to Whistler with their unique sleigh ride experiences for over 19 years. The owners – Jason and Sherry – are true animal lovers, training and caring for horses who worked at home and on the farm. As born and bred Canadians, they know a thing or two about the mountains and the country, and always have lots to share with guests. They’re also great hosts, who love helping guests plan the perfect experience.
Just as impressive are their team of gentle, hard-working animals, who seem to love working in Whistler just as much as we do. Most of the horses are Percheron draft horses – bred for centuries to enjoy pulling carts and sleighs – and they’re well adapted to the winter weather we get here in Whistler. They work in teams of two, and normally have one best friend who they work with all the time. The horses are friendly, and always happy to be greeted by visitors with a pat (and they don’t mind posing for photos either). They don’t work hard all year – they love the summers spent frolicking around the fields. And if you’re here in the Fall, you might bump into some of them pulling the pumpkin wagons at North Arm Farm in Pemberton!
You can meet all the horses and discover their personalities on their website. You can also learn about how the horses are cared for, and how they’re adapted to our chilly Whistler winters. Did you know that these hardy draft horses don’t even need heated shelter or blankets in winter? They’ve evolved to grow thick winter coats that keep them toasty warm, so as long as they’re sheltered from the rain and snow, they’re happy!
All the staff at Blackcomb Sleigh Rides are very experienced working with horses, and more than happy to tell you and your children all about the horses. One of the things we love about Blackcomb Sleigh Rides is how much they love their horses. They’ve thought of everything to make sure the horses enjoy the work, and live happy, comfortable lives. And they’ll keep you and the kids entertained for the whole ride, telling stories and teaching you all about Whistler.
Sleigh Rides – a unique Whistler experience
A sleigh ride is a great choice for anyone. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a totally different way to spend an evening in Whistler, away from the lights and the hustle bustle of the village. We’re pretty sure the kids will remember it forever – and so will you! Make sure to bring your camera and plenty of warm clothes, and you’ll have an unforgettable evening. Remember, Whistler gets very busy over winter, so make sure to book in advance so you’re sure to secure a spot. And when you’re back, we’d love to hear about your night time sleigh ride adventure!